The DGIE issues two categories of residence permits: Temporary residence permit and Permanent residence permit
To apply for a permit click on the appropriate permit class on the right hand menu
* Diploma, Police Clearance, Marriage certificate and Birth Certificate should be translated in English or French. Police Clearance should be original only.
* Immigration officers to certify a copy of other documents if the applicant is in possession of original documents.
* To the applicants applying for residence permit, grace period is 15 days upon arrival in the country. After that period, penalties will be applied immediately as stipulated by the law.
* A work permit holder has the right to change employers, during the period of validity of the work permit, but he is required to inform the office of the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration in writing. While renewing his/her permit, he/she is required to present termination letter from the previous employer or resignation letter.
* Investors/Entrepreneurs before applying for residence work permit, are advised to contact the Field Inspection and Law enforcement department of DGIE, to arrange for a field visit. The visit shall focus to assess the following: Reliability of the Business/ firm and country office addresses. In case found that the Business/ firm have not yet established, the owner and staff shall be advised to apply for special pass (3 months) to finalize the process.
* The Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration may request the applicants to submit any other document when deems necessary for more information and clarification.
P. O. BOX 6229, KIGALI Tel. +250 78 815 2222 / Fax +250 0252585292
Service Tel: Passport +250 722 159 372 |Laissez Passer +250 722 158 692|Visa & Permit +250 722 172 974/+250 722 177 437 |PRO +250 722 180 223
© Rwanda Directorate General of immigration and Emigration. All rights reserved.